Saturday, September 13, 2008

Today I am a woman...and a DEMOCRAT!

This is the best election year that I can remember. I am so proud to be a democrat. I am proud of how far we have come and I am proud of who we have chosen to be our candidate. When I saw Barack Obama speak four years ago at the DNC, I knew he would one day be our President. For the last eight years I have stood by feeling helpless to make any kind of change to our current situation. But Barack Obama has given me hope. He has given me courage. He has proven that he can lead the people in this country that want a change. He has organized us together so that we can have a say. We no longer need to feel helpless. The government is listening. It is time for the citizens of the United States of America to stand up and take our country back! It is not the government's job to raise our children. It is not the government's job to hold together our families. It is not the government's job to tell me what I can and can't do with my body! It is time we end this war in Iraq, it is time we solved this energy crisis, it is time for us to take care of our planet! It is time for us to heal old wounds and take care of the health of the children of this great nation.

I am so proud to be from a country where I as a woman can vote. I can attend school (and read good books!) and I can pursue all of the dreams that I may have. Because of these great privileges I feel a great responsibility.

Sarah Palin: I haven't spoken up about this because I've been letting it marinate. I am now so upset that I can't keep quiet any longer.Some women in this country are "thrilled" with the choice of Sarah Palin as VP for the Republican ticket. I am less than "thrilled". I feel that McCain's choice is a slap in the face to women who have worked so hard to eliminate sexism and have fought so hard for equality. I can stand up and say that as a woman she does not represent me in the least. How can a woman be so narrow minded that even in the cases of rape or incest she would deny a woman an abortion????? I find it so difficult to understand how anyone could be in support of her. She cares nothing about the environment and understands nothing of foreign policy and diplomacy. In these crazy times we need a leader who can lead our country out of the mess it is in. Considering McCain's health...it is a very scary possibility that if he is elected Palin could lead this country.

One day we will have a female president, but when we do I want her to be educated, experienced and understanding. Not uneducated, inexperienced and closed minded with a pretty face! Good Lord people!!! Get educated on the issues! Obama will save most of us money! Obama will provide health care to children! Obama will end the war in Iraq as soon as possible and Obama will help lead the CHANGE that this country so desperately needs!

No comments: