Tuesday, December 11, 2007

You're not alone...

So I've been feeling so alone this past month. Partly due to holiday bliss....and partly due to the demanding schedule I've been juggling. But it hit me today as I was driving to the U how un-alone I really am.

A few weeks ago my dear friend, Allison called me at seven in the morning and asked me to pick her up from the emergency room. My first thought was....1.how did she get there in the first place...and 2.why hadn't she called me earlier. Allison is from the mid-west and doesn't have any family here. I felt so bad when I found out that she had driven herself to the emergency room. But I was glad that she had called me to pick her up. It got me to thinking about the network that I have here. I'm slightly concerned about moving so far because I know that my network is not as big in Jersey, yet I do have one.

So with Thanksgiving and other holidays this season....I've felt so alone. Well as i was driving to the U this morning, I needed something printed out for a professor, and I thought of calling my friend, Kali. She works on campus and has saved my life probably 3 times in the past 4 weeks. haha So as I was driving to campus I was thinking about all of the people I have to support me.
Heidi and Hiba have gotten that call from me several times asking them to print something out for me...and Julia has done it as well. I can't even count how many times I've called Deanna in tears and told her I was going to quit...but she wouldn't ever let me. I've got some great friends here and a great family.

So as I prepare to graduate I am so thankful for all of the people in my life who have supported or helped me in some way. Thank you for believing in me. It seemed so impossible to me at many times along my education path...and now here I am. One of the strangest things is that if anyone would have told me a year ago that I'd be graduating and applying for Grad school in Dec 2007, I would have laughed my ass off.

I know that none of you have met my mysterious Johnny...but I really owe a huge thanks to him. He never let me give up on graduating. He nagged, he encouraged, he pushed and he reminded me of my dreams. I promise that he is real, and one day I want all of you to meet him.

We all need someone to remind us of our dreams. My point here is that I am not alone. I have some wonderful people in my life. You know who you are, I hope, if not then I need to do a much better job at saying thank you. The older I get, the more I realize that life is not about what you know, but who you know. Connections, relationships of any kind change our lives. We all have that power to touch someone else, rather it be for good or not;but in the end it us up to us to take the good and bad experiences and use them as a stepping stone to the next challenge we will face.


I'm not alone, and neither are you. Sometimes I think I just need a hug.

2 comments:

D and C said...

You are SOOOO not alone. I am so glad you know you HAVE ME ALWAYS!!! I love you so much!!!! BFF FOREVER jess...

I am always here. WE BOTH love you mucho!!!

Character Education said...

You have to thanks to all those people who supported you and took you to the path of education. Now you are a nice guy.