Wednesday, May 6, 2009

There is no place like home!



I flew in to Salt Lake on Thursday night to surprise my family. I couldn't wait to see the baby... and it was the only weekend I would possibly be able to fly out there until after the US Open. I told my sister, Angie that I was going to be flying in because she was my ride. Angie and Abbey picked me up and we subsequently surprised Heather and her husband, Jason and then my parents. I got the best reaction out of my parents, because well I think they love me the most. I love surprises and had so much fun sneaking in on them.

My best surprise was my beautiful niece Audrey Faye! I love her so much. I can't believe the way it feels to be an Aunt. It is probably one of the best things that has ever happened to me. I couldn't really take my eyes off of her and spent most of my time holding her. I was able to see Heidi and Hiba very briefly-but I was so happy that we were able to meet up before they went to Denver. I was able to sneak in a haircut with my favorite stylist-Christeena. I seriously love the way she cuts my hair and I really miss her. Jason and I had some good laughs and then I popped in on Lexi's bridal shower and then Allison, Tina, Scott and I had dinner on Saturday night, but mostly it was family time.

I know it is hard for some people to understand. But when you live away from home and then you go home for a visit it can be VERY stressful. In my short time period of being home there were SO many people that I wanted to see... and even more people that I didn't get a chance to see. :( It is so hard to spread yourself around-especially when you are exhausted. I am so sad that I didn't get to see Julia and Shannon and Chris, and Deanna and Christian and Nicole and Jason! I also have so many cousins that I didn't get to see. I'm sorry! Already since I've lived in NJ I've been home more than I ever went home when I lived out here the first time.

I get homesick. I get really sad sometimes. While I've made some good friends out here, they don't know me as well as the friends I've had for years. They don't get my jokes, they don't like jokes about trees and they don't laugh when I cheat at pool.

In other news... I am loving my job! It is so much fun and not an hour of my day goes by in which I feel the need to distract myself with Internet surfing-which says A LOT! I've already made some new friends at the company and my team is great! being in HR I've also learned the ins and outs of writing resumes that will get noticed. The best advice I can give you-Write a cover letter! I know you've heard that a million times, but it is really the best way to brag about your skills and convince the person that is hiring to call you. Don't be boring in your cover letter. Be professional but be yourself. I think it is really hard to write a good cover letter. If anyone wants me to look at their resume or cover letter I'd be happy to do so. I don't claim to be an expert, but I'm in the "hiring" side of things and may be able to offer some pointers. Just let me know.

I think that is about it. It is really starting to be so beautiful here. I love the leaves turning green and all the flowers coming out. It is so nice to ride my bike on the way to the train in the morning and watch spring come alive.

Oh one more thing! I've absolutely gone crazy in the beading side of life. I have been making necklaces and bracelets and earrings, and I am having so much fun! So far I've only given them as gifts, but John is really trying to convince me to sell some. I hope to do that at one point, but for now I love them too much to part with them. :)

2 comments:

D and C said...

Jess. You have grown so much as a woman, and I am so proud of you. I am so incredibly bummed I missed your visit, but I know we will get together soon. I LOVE YOU. Congrats Auntie. I hope to make you one again really soon!
D

SB said...

Oh! What a gorgeous picture of you two! I wish I could have seen you too, but I totally understand. It was such a short visit and really needed to be all about getting to know your darling new niece! I call at least an hour of your time the next time your in town though.