Saturday, May 23, 2009

Get away from me you Christian Street Preacher! AHHH!




Ok... so it is very ironic to me that I should spend most of my life growing up in SLC, which is known as a very "religious" place and yet I can count on maybe 2 fingers the times that I've been preached at from a street corner. If my memory serves me correctly both of those times were during the 2002 Winter Olympics. One of those times was actually pretty funny. I remember that during the Olympics there were all these "Christians" who came to SLC to warn the world about the dangers of the Mormon church. Why they felt it necessary to do this... is beyond me. Growing up I considered myself a "Christian". My parents taught me that a "Christian" was anyone who believed in Christ and lived the way he taught. Anyway... back to the story.

So on a cold winter's day in the middle of downtown SLC I was yelled at by some "Christian". I stopped this time particularly annoyed. I decided to have a conversation with this guy. I politely asked him what he was doing. He started going on a diatribe of the horrors of the Mormon church. After listening to him for a minute... I stated that I thought he would be a lot more effective if instead of bashing the Mormons, he instead told people the great things his "church" had to to offer. I could see that I'd caught him off guard because he didn't really know what to say. After a long pause... he was back at bashing the Mormon church again. I decided I wasn't going to win his fight so I said... well it is very interesting what you have to say, let me take some of your papers to my friends and family. The man handed me a stack of about 10 papers. I walked down the street a ways and threw them in the garbage. That move made me laugh a little. I have never understood people who only know how to bash... and don't take the time or effort to inform others of their belief, but instead bash those with a strong belief in something.

I find it ironic that now in NYC I am met with annoying, loud-mouth Christians on a daily basis. My boss is one of those "Christians" and has taken it upon himself to "save me". It has gotten to an almost unbearable thing. I don't feel the need to be saved, nor do I think it has anything to do with him. I would complain to HR... but my boss is HR! The other ironic part of it is that my co-worker is a Catholic. My boss bashes Mormons and Catholics... and my co-worker is so eager to please that I get stuck defending the Mormon and Catholic chruches! I get so annoyed with being preached at that I want to push all street preachers down! I know that is extreme but seriously! I once was forced to listen some guy ranting and raving about Jesus on the subway because he decided that was a good place to recite everything he knew about Jesus loud enough for the whole train to hear.

I just can't take it anymore. I love Jesus... I love God. But hey.... I don't really think its appropriate or necessary for me to stand on the corner in everyone's way screaming that they are going to hell if they don't believe in Jesus. Honestly I think the people that are standing on those corners may have a better place in hell than I do because hey... they are holding those damn annoying signs and shouting-I'm 100% positive that hell will be full of that.

No comments: